The following is a local policing update for the Rural Flegg Villages neighbourhood
Weekly crime summary 17 November 2015
With the longer nights we are seeing the continuing trend of the theft of diesel and heating oil from both business and residential properties. Police are asking residents to be vigilant to suspicious activity where these items are stored, especially around neighbouring properties, and report anything of note to the Police using 101 or 999 if you believe a crime is actually in progress.
If you have any concerns regarding the security of your property you can request a free crime prevention survey from the Constabulary by calling 101.
Police are also reminding residents of the dangers of unexpected trades men and sellers calling at your door. Most legitimate businesses have moved away from this technique and you are within your rights not to engage with people you have not invited to your door. We have also seen a number of sales persons claiming they are deaf or hard of hearing and at present we haven’t been able to confirm their legitimacy. Some simple rules to keep you secure are:
· Use a door chain until you have checked and confirmed the callers identity
· Ask for identification, call up the company to check their identity and DO NOT allow them into your house until you are happy
· If you aren’t happy please call the police using 101 and we will attend to check their identity
· DO NOT agree to pay them there and then and get any quotes in writing
· If they claim to have carried out work you don’t believe has been carried out or asked for call the Police using 101.